Setting up your Baby Nursery
Setting up a new nursery can be both exciting and confusing. There are many products to choose from, a wide range of styles, colours and prices. The options are endless.
It is very easy to get carried away in setting up your baby nursery however Safety is the number one priority.
Whether your baby will share a room or have one of their own here are a few safety points you should consider:
- Research current standards and guidelines to enable you to make informed decisions. All Bubs products meet Australian and New Zealand Standards
- Plan your room. What available space do you have to determine your cot size. Remember if space is an issue you can combine Changer with Chest of Drawers or Bath/Changer Combo
- Room Temperature can be a ticky one. You may have 3 layers of clothes on, while your partner may only have 1 layer on. A Room Thermometer is the safest way to check the temperature in your room. If you use a heater to warm the baby nursery ensure you turn it on before your baby goes to sleep and turn it off when you put your bub to bed
- If re-painting you should use non-toxic paint
- Place the cot away from windows and shelving. Curtains and blinds can pose a hazard if they have long cords. Remove cords or shorten them so they are out of baby's reach
- Ensure your mattress is the exact size, clean and firm
- Mobiles, bumpers and toys placed on or in the cot may look beautiful, however they can pose as a health risk to your baby by reducing the air flow which can be a contributing factor related the cause of SIDS
- Organise your baby nursery so that what you need at change time is within arm’s reach for you but out of your baby's reach. NEVER leave your baby on a Change Table unattended
- When purchasing bedding ensure that there are no ties, cords or buttons that may become loose and cause strangulation or choking. Pillows, Quilts, Dooners are not recommended on bubs under one (1) year of age
- Childproof power points
- If there is space available, a comfortable chair in your bub’s room is great for those night feeds. Choose a chair you can get up off easily while carrying a sleeping bub, but still having good back support
- If you decide on a toy box for your baby, please consider the following as a guide for a safer product design: Light weight, Non attachable lid and air holes
- Remember to place the toy box away from your bubs cot
- Invest in a dim light or lamp. This will enable you to see at night, but not bright enough to wake your baby up
Come and visit your local Bubs Baby Shop to see our fully enclosed Nursery’s*. Come with a list of questions or come just for a look. Our friendly staff will be more than happy to assist you in setting up your baby’s nursery.
*Nursery set up’s are available in all stores. Fully enclosed nursery’s are in the following stores only: Auburn, Gold Coast, Aspley, Fortitude Valley & Logan.
Kidsline Gossamer Wings Manchester Range
Geneva Change Table
Carinda Tall Boy
All in white
Kidsline Silver Lining Manchester Range
Bookcase extra large
Marra Change Table
All in Walnut
Kidsline Savana Manchester Range
All in Teak
Related articles: Baby Cot Safety, Choosing a Pram, and Toy Safety